CHS Homecoming Festivities Begin

Miranda Miller, Co-Editor In Chief

To kick off the 2021-2022 school year, the school will welcome students into a new school year during Homecoming Week.  Homecoming is a time for students to celebrate coming back for a new school year.  This year will be especially exciting because this will be the first time that some students are back in person in over a year.  

On September 11, 2021, the homecoming dance will be held from 7pm to 10pm, hosting underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) in the field house and upperclassmen (juniors and seniors) in the cafeteria.  In order to provide the safest experience for students, no outside guests will be permitted.  The dress code is set as semi-formal and informal attire so that families do not have to purchase attire.  

Currently, the Chesterton School District is sitting in the “yellow” zone, however, if the district is moved in the “orange” or “red” zone, meaning the COVID-19 cases increase, the dance will be postponed until November 6th. 

Tickets for the dance are available online and will cost $10 with an extra $0.85 processing fee for each ticket.  All students have been emailed instructions on how to purchase their tickets and requirements in order to attend the dance.  Ticket sales will end on Friday, September 10.  If the dance is to be postponed, tickets bought will be valid to use for the new November date.  There will be a refund available to students if deemed necessary.  

The Student Government has released the themes for each day of homecoming week. With the Labor Day weekend, there are only four themes for the week including:

Tuesday: Sports & College Gear Day

Wednesday: Twin Day 

Thursday: Decades Day

Friday: Maroon and Gold Day

There will be no pep rally at the end of the school day, however, unlike last year, the parade will proceed.  The parade will begin in the Chesterton Middle School parking lot at 4pm on Friday, September 10.  Students and clubs that wish to participate can contact CHS Assistant Principal Robert Blumenthal at [email protected].  

Following the parade, will be the Homecoming football game.  The game will be played against LaPorte High School.  

Wrapping up the Homecoming festivities brings the Homecoming Court.  Students have been sent a Homecoming Royalty ballot through their emails and can select two of the eight contenders including juniors Gretta Burke, Olyvia Clark, and Aidan Torres, and seniors Mark Jewison, Dylan Leavitt, Clayton Dye, Luke Stento, and Serena Workman.  

“What I’m looking forward to most about being a part of homecoming court is the opportunity to be a part of something that not many people get in their four years of highschool,” says Homecoming Royalty candidate, senior Dylan Leavitt. 

Unlike last year, students will be able to enjoy the normal Homecoming festivities including the dance, football game, and parade.  Do not forget to vote for your choice of Homecoming Royalty and enjoy this Homecoming Week.