Trailbound Trip is Coming Back for 2022!

Trailbound is looking for applicants!

Linnea Sundquist, Staff Author

This summer the social studies department is having their annual Trailbound trip to the Adirondack Mountains to study the French and Indian War. This year, students will travel all around New York and visit Niagara Falls, Blue Mountain Lake Museum and will make a base camp outside of Lake Placid at the moutain Adirondack Loj. Students will also be completing a half-day zipline course and then visiting Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain. Additionally, students will be rail-biking on early railway tracks laid along the shore of the Hudson River.  Finally, students will be visiting the Seneca Falls Women’s Suffrage and Harriet Tubman historic sites on their way back to Indiana. 

This trip will be hosted, as is tradition, by Mr DeRuntz and Mr Sensibaugh from June 5th through the 12th.  On June 2nd and 3rd, DeRuntz and Sensibaugh will hold an in class session to learn and study the French and Indian War. The 5th through the 12th will be the field study part of the program, when students will begin their travel experience to New York. 

If students want to join this trip they will need to fill out an application which can be found in Mr DeRuntz’s room, C597. There are a couple of parts to the application that each student must complete, two teacher recommendations, an application essay, and a physical test which is required by all students to make sure they are healthy enough for the physical nature of this trip.  Students can use any teacher for their recommendation.  As far as the essay is concerned, students must give reasons why they wish to participate in the Trailbound experience, as well as what they feel they would gain from the experience, and finally, what they have to offer to the group. Once students have turned in their entire application, there will be a list of all the accepted applicants and the ones who are wait listed.  Students who are not initially selected will be placed on an alternate list from which students will be invited if space opens up. For accepted students, a required physical test will take place on November 4th, after school from 3 to 4pm. 

The cost per student will total $860. The entire cost is split up into five categories: food expenses, camping expenses, entrance/activity fees, course expenses and group expenses like journals, group equipment, shirts etc. The $100 deposit for the group expenses is due on December 10th, and will be added to the total cost. As for the rest of the cost, each student will go on a monthly pay schedule of four monthly payments of S190 from February through May. 

This trip is an incredible opportunity for our students at CHS to meet new people and make new friends. There will also be a historical boat tour on Lake Champlain abroad the Carillon. Mr. DeRuntz has also stated that the primary goal for this trip is, “This is for our students to learn about themselves through hiking and camping as they do for our country’s history.” 

There are also many more activities this trip will be providing and that is why you should stop by Mr DeRuntz’s room for more information about the 2022 Trailbound Trip.  “This would give our students the opportunity to learn about the very places where the French and Indian War took place as well as give students the chance to discover the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains.”