Emma Ekblaw Signs With Calvin University

Four year varsity volleyball player Emma Ekblaw signs her NLI to play Division III volleyball.

Gigi Hanner

In the past few weeks, several Chesterton High School athletes signed their National Letters of Intent, a document that allows student athletes to officially continue their athletic career at the college or university of their choosing.

Emma Ekblaw signed her NLI to play Division III volleyball at Calvin University in Grand Rapids, Michigan, majoring in Speech Pathology. She was awarded an Academic All-State title, as well as All-Conference honors. In addition to volleyball, Ekblaw plays on the varsity lacrosse team, and participates in varsity debate. 

Ekblaw is very excited to finally be officially committed to Calvin, but described the process as very strenuous. She said, “It [the commitment process] definitely had a level of difficulty I hadn’t faced before. It was very hard trying to find schools that worked for me but also wanted me to play there.”

Leading up to her signing, Ekblaw spent a lot of time trying to find the right place for her. “The process took 3 years. It usually takes longer and you’re supposed to start your freshman year, but I started at the end of my sophomore season.” 

As for Ekblaw’s other options, Calvin immediately caught her eye. “The only other schools I seriously considered were Saint Mary’s of Notre Dame and a couple Wisconsin schools, but Calvin had been my number 1 from the beginning.” 

There was one factor that aided Ekblaw in her decision to choose Calvin. She said, “After going to the second camp at Calvin, I found a warm, welcoming family and a wonderful campus that was really what I wanted in a school.”

Now that the process is over, Ekblaw feels a sense of relief. “Knowing that I am going to play at the next level is definitely a rewarding feeling. I have wanted this since the beginning of my career and now that I have somewhere to continue my passion for the sport, I feel complete.”

The Sandscript wishes Emma great luck as she heads into her college career!