Boys Basketball, Senior Night!!!

Gabrielle Rose, Sandscript Author

On Friday night, January 14, the Chesterton High School boys basketball team matched up against the LaPorte Slicers for a DAC battle.  On this night, Chesterton also honored their seniors as part of the senior night celebration. Travis Grayson, Chris Mullen, Carson Parrish, and Jordan Hughes were all honored with flowers for their parents, and a framed jersey for each of them. All four boys have been members of the Chesterton Basketball program for each year of high school. Mullen and Hughes have also starred on the football team during their high school years. Despite having a game to play, senior night is typically filled with talk of memories, as seniors have a chance to reflect on their careers.  

“My favorite part of my senior year was winning the Noble’s Tournament,” said guard Carson Parrish.

During the game, the boys played intense hard defense and ran concentrated offense. LaPorte battled early showing some grit, and student sections were really going at each other while still cheering on their teams. At the start of the game, LaPorte was able to keep the game fairly close, attempting to slow down the pace of the Trojans.  It wasn’t until about midway through the second quarter that the better team would separate itself.  After a 12-12 tie through the first quarter, Chesterton outscored the Slicers 19-7 to close out the first half, giving them a 31-19 lead at halftime.

The second half would prove to be equally successful for the Trojans, as their high pressure defense resulted in a plethora of LaPorte turnovers, meaning points on the board for Chesterton.  After exploding for 21 points in the fourth quarter, Chesterton had sealed the deal, defeating LaPorte 69-44.  Fittingly, Grayson scored 17 points and Mullen 20 in their senior night games.

“The coaches make the basketball team feel special for the seniors, by how much time, and how they help us be better in our games” added Grayson.

Credit to Chesterton trojans Boys Basketball

In the end it was an impressive win on a special night for the Trojans, who vaulted up to number one in the state rankings the following week, where they still remain now.  The next game for Chesterton is against another DAC foe, the Michigan City Wolves, at home next Thursday February 3.