Mullen Commits DII to University of Indianapolis

Stays in State for Colliegate Career

Caroline Dardeau, Editor in Sports

This past fall we all watched the Chesterton Football Team excel and flourish throughout their season due to their hard work and dedication to the sport.  It is with great pride that CHS can announce that quarterback Chris Mullen has officially announced his commitment to the University of Indianapolis, in Indianapolis, Indiana. 

Mullen has been the starting quarterback for Chesterton High School since his sophomore year in 2019, when he broke the school record for passing yards in a season. Fast forward to his senior campaign this year, he again excelled throwing the ball, but made huge strides as a running quarterback. During the 2021 season, Mullen completed 126 of his 235 passes (53.25%) for 1580 passing yards, 14 touchdowns, and just three interceptions. As a ball carrier, he totaled 319 rushing yards, on 111 carries (some of which were sacks), three touchdowns, and zero fumbles. In addition to his football skills, Mullen is a tri-sport athlete playing football, basketball, and baseball. Not only does he partake in these sports, he excels by continuing to be a phenomenal example to those around him.

With outstanding offers from Valparaiso University and Butler University for football. Mullen had a hard task at hand to choose his home for the next four years. While not taking this decision lightly, Mullen decided that the University of Indianapolis would be his newfound home.

“The coaches made me feel at home when I went on visits there and they were one of the first, if not the first school to start recruiting me.” With Mullen Being a stellar student as well, he also valued the course of education he would be receiving at UIndy, “with great academics and athletics, it is the perfect fit for me,” Mullen said after talking with UIndy Head Coach Chris Keevers, and Quarterbacks Coach Quinn Schafer 

Coach Schafer was a former quarterback at Valparaiso University, and a recruiter for the Region, Fort Wayne, Lafayette, and South Bend. After recruiting Mullen, Schafer will now be the main coach training Mullen for the majority of his time. 

“It was a great feeling of happiness and relief. The recruiting process is crazy and takes a long time. It feels good to have a spot secured on a team with a great program,” Mullen continued.

Win or lose, Mullen will be training for championships alongside his team. “Year in and year out we will be playing for championships and that’s what I want to do.” 

When choosing his school, any athlete checks whether or not it meets the needs and expectations of their dreams. Playing at the collegiate level comes with a lot of training and responsibility, which Mullen has shown staff and students, that he is fully capable of rising up to the challenges at UIndy.

Currently, Mullen is playing for Coach Marc Urban on the basketball court, with a team that is in the hunt for some serious hardware of their own. While his focus now remains on helping the Trojans cut down the nets in March, he still looks forward to his future at UIndy.