Get a Leg Up By Joining National Honor Society

CHS National Honor Society is looking for new members for 2023

Miranda Miller, Co Editor-In-Chief

Chesterton High School National Honor Society is looking for new members to apply for the 2023 school year.  National Honor Society, or “NHS”, is an organization available to high school juniors and seniors and promotes the four pillars of service, scholarship, character, and leadership.  In order to qualify to apply, a student must have a grade point average at 3.4 or higher and have demonstrated the different pillars throughout their academic career.  The Chesterton High School NHS advisor, Brian Nallenweg, has announced that juniors and seniors are currently able to apply to join the program.  

“The National Honor Society is a well-respected organization.  Students who are a part of this organization will enhance their leadership skills.  Students can list NHS membership on college applications and job resumes.  There are also scholarship opportunities available to NHS members,” says the director of Chesterton’s NHS program, Brian Nallenweg.  

While participating in the program, students are expected to attend monthly meetings and volunteer around their community. The organization runs on a point system, and students earn points by attending meetings, voting in NHS elections, and earning volunteer hours. The NHS officers present volunteer opportunities every meeting to help students find ways to earn their volunteer points. These monthly meetings are required, and are often held in the morning before school begins. If a student misses too many of these meetings, they may be removed from the program altogether.  

When students reach enough points, it allows them to continue in the program and students are given an NHS specific tassel to wear on graduation day. If students exceed the number of points required to graduate as a part of the National Honor Society, and hit another point requirement, students qualify to apply for scholarships offered through the NHS program.  

Some students join the NHS to gain leadership experience, help out around the school, and their community, while others join to have an organization of prestige to add to their college and work resume.  No matter the reason, students come out of high school with experience and learn how to be a valuable member of their community. 

I would encourage juniors and seniors to join the National Honor Society because it is a great opportunity for students to serve their community and school.  Membership in this organization can lay the groundwork for lifelong success,” says Nallenweg. 

If interested, students can get an application from Mr. Nallenweg in his room (C584).  Once the application is finished, return it to Mr. Nallenweg by Tuesday, February first at 3pm.  If there are any further questions about the application or the program itself, students can contact Nallenweg at [email protected], or see him in his classroom.