German Club Welcomes Newcomers

The CHS German club reaches out to expand their club

Chloe Clendenin, Author

German Club is an extracurricular activity Chesterton High School offers to students. The club is run by one of CHS’s German language teachers, Justin Martinson. Anyone is welcome to join, even if you don’t take a German language course, the club is open to everyone who would like to join.  In previous years, German club has typically taken trips to Chicago, but COVID has shifted things in a slightly different direction. 

“Unfortunately, we will not take any field trips this year due to COVID-19. We usually take a trip to Chicago in December to visit the Christkindlmarkt, a traditional German Christmas market that takes place each year in Daley Plaza. It [the market] has been canceled for 2020. Last year, we attended an awesome concert in Chicago by the German band Meute. It was a blast! We hope that we can resume our trips next year,” said Martinson. 

Even though covid has affected the traveling portion for the group, the club meetings are still packed with fun!  German Club meets in the World Center about once a month from 3-4 pm. As Herr Martinson encourages students to attend the majority of events and meetings, it is not required to be present at them all. 

“We do all sorts of activities, and no two meetings look alike. We host an Oktoberfest party, a gingerbread house contest, movie, and game nights,” Martinson added, “in the spring we hold a FIFA gaming tournament and our German exchange students usually get to participate, which is a lot of fun.” 

If you are a student at CHS and are interested in joining German Club the Sandscript highly recommends it. Since the German Club only meets once a month and doesn’t have many requirements, it is a fun club that is easy to join! It doesn’t involve many commitments and they do very fun activities. Anyone that is interested in the German language or culture is welcome to join. To join, contact Mr. Justin Martinson at [email protected], or visit his classroom in the world language hallway. German Club welcomes any and all newcomers!