Chesterton High School’s Own WDSO Celebrates The 30th Anniversary of Radiothon

Students prepare for a week of music and giveaways

William Rinker, Sandscript Author

Since the 1970s, Chesterton High School’s own radio station, 88.3FM has been filling the airwaves with the wonderful sounds of music. Operated completely by the student base, the station has been a great way for members to earn some local fame by reading the news and weather, while also sharing their playlists with the region. Since 1991, the station has held a fundraiser, famously titled “Radiothon”, where giveaways are held every hour. Students involved are always excited for its arrival, especially since COVID 19 made it impossible last year. 

The station runs off of 410 watts, and spans nearly all of porter county. Apart from the usual news and music, the station also covers current sports score, as well as live coverage of Duneland School Board meetings. Any student can join the station, provided that they take the one semester “Intro to Radio/TV” class at CHS. 

CHS senior and Program Director Drew Malpanes has looked forward to the fundraiser for sometime now, especially her show this week on Thursday morning and afternoon. 

“I’m looking forward to raising money for the station to ensure it stays great after I graduate. Although, I’m hoping that we get to buy some new equipment for us to use before I step down as Program Director.” Malpanes joked during her interview. 

The station uses the donations from the Radiothon to purchase new electronics, maintain the equipment, and overall improve the conditions of the station. People can make pledges by calling 219-983-3777 or by visiting the Chesterton High School security desk. Additionally, the station will be taking requests all week, so listen all week to put in your requests, make your donations, and maybe take home a giveaway!  WDSO can be reached at the same line (219-983-3777) between 7 am and 4 pm.