CHS’s Homecoming Block Party is Back in Action!

Saanya Agarwal, Co-Editor in Chief

Chesterton High School’s Student Government is once again hosting their annual Homecoming Block Party on Thursday, September 9th. This major event is open to the entire Duneland community with fun and engaging activities for all ages.

Mr. Gillman, who helps oversee Student Government, provides insight into some of the activities attendees can look forward to. He explains, “We are currently looking at an inflatable obstacle course, bag toss, a water balloon activity, carnival games, and almost all the seniors from many of our fall sports that are in season right now.” 

Because the Homecoming Block Party is outside, there are bountiful thrilling activities that aren’t bound by covid-19 restrictions. In addition to the numerous activities Mr. Gillman listed, student government plans to also include a dunk tank. Specific teachers, including Mr. Dan Caudle, are set to participate in this extremely exciting carnival game. Various food options will be available throughout the event as well. Food trucks will be lining the back of the parking lot along with water, popcorn, and pizza provided by CHS’s student government. The games and food will all cost money, but they are all said to be appropriately priced.

To add to the already fantastic entertainment, Chesterton High School’s very own WDSO will be supplying the event with music straight from their very own booth. Moreover, members of the football, basketball, dance, and cheer teams will be in attendance as well. Furthermore, some of these teams have their own booths where they will be hosting even more fun activities in addition to some special performances. Mrs. Wilt from the CHS library will also be tye dying shirts at the library’s booth as well.

The Homecoming Block Party will be a fantastic opportunity for people to not only have a great time but also get to know and bond with others in the Duneland Community. After such a long and strenuous year of virtual learning, this pivotal event will hopefully bring some joy and normalcy back into the school year. 

Junior Lexie Lorino remarks, “I am so excited for the Block Party! To be honest, I didn’t know much about it until this year, though. I saw a lot of posters around school and started following Student Gov’s social media accounts, and that’s how I found out about it. A lot of people are talking about it, and it definitely sounds like a ton of fun.”

Student Government President Celia Faroh reveals, “It’s always so fun to have our school members come together and make an outreach into the community. We really appreciate the help of WDSO, the Porter PD, Mrs. Wilt and staff, the cheer team, football team, basketball team, all of the APs and teachers, custodial staff, and everyone else who makes the block party so great.”

CHS’s student government has been planning this event for months, so it is definitely going to be successful. The block party will take place outside door 4 near the main entrance parking lot at Chesterton High School. Make sure to stop by for some community fun from 5:00 – 7:00 pm on Thursday, September 9th!