CHS Girls Golf Takes Fifth At DAC

Miranda Miller, Co-Editor In Chief

On Tuesday, September 7, the Chesterton High School girls golf team competed at Sand Creek Country Club in the DAC tournament.  The girls took fifth place with an end score of 401, beating Portage by 9 strokes and losing to LaPorte by 10.  Valparaiso High School took first with a score of 365, closely followed by Lake Central (371) and Crown Point (378).  

At the end of the match, the top six competitors were recognized.  Taylor Skibinski (Michigan City) and Valentina Gozo (Crown Point) tied for first with a score of 83.  The girls played a one-hole playoff with Gozo scoring a 6 on the hole and Skibinski with a 5.  Skibinski took first place followed by Gozo in second.  Lake Central’s Kamyran Golec (86) placed third, Norah Rossman (89) from Valparaiso took fourth, Olivia Safranek (90) from Lake Central placed fifth, and Valparaiso’s Faith Lee (91) took sixth.  

“As a coach, I was pleased with our 5th place finish but not satisfied.  I feel like we could’ve caught LaPorte who was only 10 strokes ahead of us in 4th.  It was tough conditions to play in but I felt like we had the talent to beat LaPorte that day,” states Coach Toby Gentry. 

The CHS varsity girls played in windy and slightly rainy conditions, making the course even more difficult to play.  Senior Miranda Miller led the team with a score of 95, this being her second time scoring under 100.  Following Miller, fellow seniors Katelyn McCoy and Paige House carded scores of 97 and 103 respectively, while sophomore Alize Lawerance (106), and junior Lizzy Gray (108) rounded out the Trojan scores.  

“I am pleased with the results.  I am very proud of my teammates.  It was very windy so the conditions were pretty tough but I think we did a great job adjusting to that,” says Paige House.  

The team will continue their season by participating in the Pat Ford Invitational this Friday, September 10 at the Beechwood Golf Course in LaPorte, Indiana teeing off at 10 am.