Chesterton Debate Wraps Up the Regular Season

CHS Debaters finish out the season and look ahead to the State tournament.

Gigi Hanner, Sandscript Author

The Chesterton Debate Team finished out their regular season competition at their home tournament this past Saturday, albeit virtually. The team competed from their computers for the first time since the National Tournament in June, and they will be heading into the postseason to compete for National spots and a state title. 

In Congressional Debate, senior Peyton Day and a West Lafayette competitor tied for 2nd place, while Junior Katie Pampalone earned 8th place.

In Lincoln Douglas Debate, sophomore Emily Fleischacker and senior Nathan Osborn finished in 13th and 14th place, respectively. Junior Gretta Burke completed the tournament in 16th place.

Policy Debate ended up having Chesterton teams in five out of the top six spots. Juniors Brayden Blouir and Johnathon McClure ended up in 6th, and juniors Freedom Eiden and Riley Hawksworth got 5th. CHS closed out the top three spots, with freshmen Gwen Lester and Katerina Markwart in 3rd, and freshmen Alaina McGrogan and Milena Letic in 2nd. In the 1st place spot was the senior duo of Mark Jewison and Milena Veltri.

Public Forum debaters saw a lot of success as well. Seniors Sam Burris and Riste Miroski got 13th, while juniors Saanya Agarwal and Zander Fish finished in 5th place. The senior team of Hamza Sahli and Ethan Kroft took home the top spot in the event.

In the World School Debate, two Chesterton teams competed. The team of Cailyn Hilliar, Rian Goins, Ethan Markwart, and Patrick Hansen finished in 11th place, and the junior team of Bennett Proffit, George Rone, and Matt Keane ended the day in 8th place. 

Next weekend, the debate team heads to Penn High School to compete for a place at the National Tournament in June. The following weekend, the team will head down to Indianapolis to the state tournament. The Sandscript wishes them luck as they wrap up their season!