Digital SAT or Paper SAT?

Which is better: taking the SAT digitally or on paper?

Charis Lafata, Sandscript Author

On Wednesday March 2, every member of the CHS junior class took the statewide SAT. It was not only the first time the SAT was administered to the entire school, but it was also the first time the test was administered digitally. The length of the online and paper editions differ significantly as the online platform allows test takers to complete it faster. The digital version takes only two hours, while the paper version takes three hours. When it comes to the information contained in these versions, the test, regardless of digital or paper, is the same as before. The digital edition has the same content and scoring as the paper version. Students should study in the same manner, and institutions will use the score in the same way as the paper version has been used. 

When students learned that the SAT would now be digital, there were a variety of reactions and emotions. The announcement was resented by many students, while others appreciated the convenient digital format. Students who objected to the test being digital indicated that they had been studying on paper and that staring at a computer screen would cause them headaches and eye problems. On the other hand, others were overjoyed that the exam was digital. They believe that, in this day and age, it is only natural for the SAT to be computerized. Other students noted that it is much easier to answer by clicking a button rather than filling in a circle properly. 

Both points of view are understandable to me. I preferred the digital version since it was more convenient to use. I was able to quickly click an answer, and because I am more familiar with using a computer, the digital version was more comfortable for me.