Summer School, Let’s Learn

Gabrielle Rose, Sandscript Author

Chesterton High School is offering a summer school to students. Students must be registered by June 6, 2022, and you must turn in this form to the Counseling Office. Students may take multiple remedial courses per session, or one enrichment course per session. 

Session 1:  June 7- Jun 30, 2022

7:30 am to 12:55 pm

English 9-10, Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Analytical Algebra 2, Health, Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space, Environmental Science, Integrated Chemistry and Physics, U.S. History, World Geography, World History, Economics, and Government are offered. 

Session 2: July 6- Jul 28, 2022

7:30 am to 12:55 pm

English 9-10, Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Analytical Algebra 2, Health, Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space, Environmental Science, Integrated Chemistry and Physics, U.S. History, World Geography, World History, Economics, and Government are offered as well. 

LOCATION: All Summer School classes will be held at Chesterton High School (2125 S 11th Street, Chesterton). 

STUDENT CONDUCT: Students will be expected to follow all school rules as stated in the 2021-2022 Student Handbook. 

ATTENDANCE POLICY: The summer school schedule consists of 81 hours of instruction and students are expected to attend all scheduled classes. Students should not request to be absent for camps or vacations. Students attending Summer School will be subject to a 90% Attendance Policy, which means students may not miss more than 6 blocks. One school day consists of 4 blocks. If you are more than fifteen minutes late to 1st block, you are absent for that block. Four tardies equal one block of absence, 7 tardies equal another block and 9 tardies equal another 1 block. No absences are excused. 

ENRICHMENT VS. REMEDIATION: Remediation classes provide instruction to students who need more support in a certain subject area. In order to ensure that a student graduates high school on time, they will need to attend summer school to retake the classes they received an F in during the school year. Some students want the opportunity to get ahead in their classes. If this is the case, they can sign up for an enrichment class. Students may enroll in an enrichment class the summer before they would normally take that class at CHS. 

ADDITIONAL ELECTIVES/COURSES: If a student is currently enrolled in a Credit Recovery course that is not listed on the front of this sheet, the student’s counselor will add it to the student’s summer school schedule. 

BUS TRANSPORTATION: There will be limited bus transportation this summer. Pick up locations and times will be determined by enrollment and geography. Parents can check Skyward for their student’s summer school bus information.

ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: Posted in the main lobby (Entrance 1) on the first day of summer school.

BUILDING & PARKING: Students should not be in the building unless they are attending class. The doors will open at 7:15am at entrance #1. The cafeteria is open during break time (cash only). Food is to remain in the cafeteria. The restrooms in the immediate area will be the only ones open during the summer school session. Those will be the restrooms located in the main hallway. Under no circumstances are students to be in any part of the building except where classes are scheduled. Students are to park on school property in the designated student parking areas. Students may not go to their cars during breaks.

SUMMER SCHOOL IS FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS: Parents can enroll their student in both sessions of summer school at one time. You will be able to check your registration for summer school in Skyward. No registration confirmation documents will be sent home. 

STUDENT ATHLETES: Student athletes can only earn up to three (3) credits during summer school for the purposes of maintaining IHSAA eligibility. Additional credits can be earned but they will not count toward athletic eligibility.

ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL: Students who are currently enrolled in the Alternative School will be able to continue their classes during summer school. 

STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE ALL WORK BY THE END OF EACH SESSION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THE COURSE THEY ARE ENROLLED IN FOR SUMMER SCHOOL.