Girls Senior Night; Track and Field

Girls track competes at home for the senior night

Sarah Sahli, Features Editor, Sandscript Author

The CHS girls track and field team had their senior night on Tuesday, April 12. The night began with surprise posters made for each senior with many photos of their high school and track memories along with the signatures of all their teammates. The track gates were draped with tapestries and featured photos of each senior in uniform and they were commemorated one by one while they walked through a tunnel of their teammates. An announcer read off their accomplishments, their plans after high school, and their message to their coaches and teammates. 

Soon after, track teams from Portage and Merville arrived ready to compete. In the 800-meter run, Chesterton took first place in the race thanks to senior Bailey Ranta. She destroyed the competition in her race at a time of 2:25.25. Continuing her success, Ranta finished first in both her 1600-meter and 3200-meter run.  The Lady Trojans didn’t stop there with their success for the night. Chestertons 4×400 meter relay team of seniors Bree Gentry, Isabella Smith, and Camryn Dunn, and junior Bridget Raffin, and the 4×800 meter relay team of senior Catherine White, Gentry, junior Alyssa Dunlap, and Sophomore Ciara Bonner took first place in their races while their teammates cheered relentlessly as they ran.  Gentry also found herself winning first in the 400-meter run with a time of 1:03.47, while finishing second in the pole vault behind fellow senior Kristina Kokot, who vaulted eight feet. Just like her 4×400 team, Dunn took first place in the 100-meter dash where she holds the school record from the previous season. 

Additionally, the team found themselves finishing second with Smith in the 400-meter, Bonner in the 800-meter, White in the 1600-meter and 3200-meter, and senior Madison Davis in the shot put. Third-place finishes include Dunlap in the 800-meter, junior Giana Raffin in the pole vault with a height of seven feet 6 inches, and the 4×100 meter relay team of senior Kailee Komisarcik, juniors Brianna Hardsock and Olivia Kosak, and freshman Ava Kontos. 

Overall, the girls finished first defeating Portage 83-49 and Merville 83-48. The team has many goals in place this season and seems to be on the path to success. The girls will compete against Valparaiso on Tuesday, April 19th where the girls faced tough competition.  The girls gave their all and barely fell short that night. There will be more on their dual coming soon on the Sandscript Website.