Lady Trojans Run Their Hearts Out

Chesterton girls track compete in 3 meets and dominate every time

Sarah Sahli, Features Editor, Sandscript Author

The Chesterton High School girl’s track and field team competed in three meets this past week. On Saturday, April 23 the girls traveled to West Lafayette where the weekly relay competition was hosted. The team faced various other schools and ran their hearts out, enduring the heat and the blazing sun for hours. 

The day began with the (sprint medley relay) SMR where the trojan team of senior Kailee Komisarcik (100-meter sprint), freshman Ava Kontos  (100-meter sprint), junior Ingrid Hurst (200-meter sprint), and senior Camryn Dunn (400-meter sprint) took first place with a time of 1:50.37 breaking the school record for the event at Chesterton High School and proving the teams potential for the night. 

Next, senior Bailey Ranta ran the 3200-meter with a time of 10:54:88 where she received first place, ran her second fastest two-mile time, and broke the meet record of 10:59 for the night, and as a result, received the Jess Gall Award (top distance performer) 

The Lady Trojans were on fire and continued burning their competition with their shot put and discus representative of the night, senior Carly Balas, who placed second in both events with a distance of 37’5.5 in shot put and 111’4 in discus. Balas also received the Tia Hensler Award for her jaw-dropping performances on the field. 

The girls finished first overall at the West Lafayette Relays dominating the runner-up, Harrison High School, by 22 points. 

Three days later, the girls found themselves competing against the Michigan City Wolves and the Lake Central Indians at Michigan City High School. The Indians have not been defeated in a regular-season meet for 15 years and the Trojans were determined to put an end to their streak. 

The meet began with the 800-meter run where Ranta took first place, senior Catherine White took second place, and junior Alyssa Dunlap took third place. Following this event, in the 100-meter hurdles, junior Bridget Raffin finished third and Dunn took first place in the 100-meter dash, first in the 200-meter dash, and Dunn, along with her relay team of seniors Bella Smith and Bree Gentry and Raffin, took first place in the 4×400-meter relay. 

Michigan City had difficulty recording the times for each event as the night grew darker. There were not enough lights to cover the track and determining the winners became difficult. However, the coaches of each team kept track and confirmed that the Lady Trojans continued their success for the night placing first, second, and third place in field events as well as other running events. Once the night came to an end, although Michigan City did not have the official scores completed and released, coaches from both Chesterton and Lake Central had recorded each event as the meet went on.

Lake Central’s Head Coach approached Lindsay Moskalick, Chesterton’s head coach, and said, “Congratulations, first time in 15 years”. 

When Moskalick shared this news with the rest of the Lady Trojans, they cheered relentlessly, knowing their hard work both during practice and at the meet paid off. Given that Chesterton has been second behind the Indians in the DAC, this was a massive milestone for the Trojans. 

The girls were not done dominating for the week. On Friday, April 29, the girls left school at 2:30 pm and traveled to Mishawaka Indiana to compete in the Princess Relays. 

The Lady Trojans took first place in the 4×100-meter relay, 4×200-meter relay, 4×400-meter relay, SMR, DMR, and the Shot Put Relay. Second-place finishes included the Discus Relay and the 3200-meter relay and the Trojans managed third in the 300-meter hurdles and the 4×800-meter relay. 

Dunn was recognized as the Princess of the night for her performance in the 4×100-meter relay, 4×200-meter relay, and 4×400-meter relay. 

The girls took the first place title for the night defeating all twelve teams that were present for the night including Warsaw Highschool in second, and Valparaiso High School in third. 

The Lady Trojans saw a lot of success in the past week placing first overall in each of their three competitions, proving their hard work and dedication to the team. Next, the girls will face Crown Point and LaPort at Crown Point High School on Tuesday, May 3 concluding their season and beginning their postseason.