Meet the Teachers 2022-23

Brody Mehling, Editor of Sports

Tom Biel:

What were you doing before CHS? “I was coaching soccer for the school, but I was also running my own business with internet consulting. It was a lot of fun, I got to sit at home in a T-shirt and shorts and help people out.”

Where did you go to school? “I went to school here at Chesterton High School and graduated in 1986. From there I went to Westpoint and was commissioned as an Army Officer. I spent some time in Germany and then moved back to Chesterton so I could start my family around here.”

What’s your favorite sports team?Bayern Munich. I was stationed in Germany for 5 years and just really got to love Bayern-Munich. My father-in-law was a goalkeeper in one of the lower Bundesliga and they were really good so I came to enjoy them.”

What’s your favorite holiday? “It’s gotta be Halloween, because of the notion that you can dress up and pretend to be someone you’re not can sort of tie into the fact that you can be anything you want to be if you put your mind to it.”

Do you have any advice for students? “Make the most out of your time here at Chesterton, it will serve you well down the road. Being a member of the Duneland Schools brings with it tremendous advantage in life.”

Suzanne Amling:

What were you doing before CHS?  “I have been teaching 8th-grade math and Algebra 1 at CMS for the last 17 years.”    

Where did you go to school? ”I went to Purdue University.”

What is your favorite sports team? “Cubs, Bears, Purdue football and basketball, and University of Alabama football (my son goes there)”

What is your favorite holiday and why? “Christmas, I love decorating my house, baking cookies, listening to Christmas music, and spending time with my family.”

Any advice for students? “Set out each day believing in your dreams.  Know without a doubt you were made for great things.” Josh Hinds

Matthew Christensen:

What were you doing before CHS? “It took me a long time to get here. I really liked marching band, so I did a drum and bugle corp called Drum Corp International. I did that for 4 years after High School all while trying to go to college. I was being pulled too tight between work, drum corp, and college, so I decided to give college a break. After I reached the maximum age for the drum corp, I enlisted in the Marines to march their drum and bugle corps. After that, I explored things and realized that I was drawn back to Chesterton’s marching band. 

Where did you go to school? I graduated from Chesterton in 2006 and attended Ball State University these past 4 years.”

What’s your favorite sports team? “I’m a big fan of Chip Ganassi. I also like hockey and the Blackhawks are my western conference team and the Capitals are my eastern conference team.”

What’s your favorite holiday? “I like Thanksgiving because my family has a combined Thanksgiving and family reunion. All my mom’s side of the family gets together and we rent out the basement of a church and just have a massive Thanksgiving meal.”

Do you have any advice for students? “Turn in every assignment. That was my goal coming into my last attempt at college. I turned in every assignment and I got straight A’s.”

Doretta Kurzinski:

What were you doing before CHS? “I worked for 1 year at Washington Township and 5 years at Hebron. I also taught freshman and graduate research at Valparaiso University for 10 years.”

Where did you go to school? “I went to high school at Thornton Fractional North in Illinois. I went to Valparaiso University, and also just got my Administration License from IU.”

What’s your favorite sports team? “I’m a big Cubs fan.”

What’s your favorite holiday? “I like all holidays because our family is together so there’s really not one that I like more than the other.”

Is there anything else you would like students to know about you? “I’m a big film fan and love to talk about film in a more critical way. My 2 daughters graduated from Chesterton and I’m married to my High School sweetheart!”

Do you have any advice for students? “Don’t discount the learning that you’re doing. It is all important and will be at some time.”

Mr. Flodder:

What were you doing before CHS? “I spent that last 6 years at Lowell High School where I was the band director. Before that, I taught at a small school system in west central Indiana called North Montgomery where I was the 6-12 band director. I also taught elementary music in a few school districts.”

Where did you go to school? “I went to High School in LaPorte and I Went to Butler University for my undergraduate and Master’s degree. I also have a Master of Music Education.”

What’s your favorite sports team? “The Butler Bulldogs! I love college basketball because I believe it’s the purest version of the sport.”

What’s your favorite holiday? “Thanksgiving because it really hammers home the importance of service in your life and giving yourself to others.”

Is there anything else you would like students to know about you? “I am tremendously excited to be joining this wonderfully positive environment here at CHS. I’d like every student to know that there is a place for all students in music, regardless of ability level or previous experience.”

Do you have any advice for students? “Choose to do things really well. Excellence is a choice and if you’re going to prepare yourself for an excellent life you have to develop excellent habits now.”

Shalonda Henderson: 

What were you doing before coming to CHS? “Before coming to CHS I was working as a special education teacher for Fegely middle school in Portage”

Where did you go to school? “I went to high school at Westside Senior High now known as Westside College and Career located in Gary, Indiana; I attended college at Purdue University with a bachelor’s in political science with a focus in Criminal Justice followed by 6 minors in various fields and two masters’ in health care management from University of Phoenix and Business. Currently, receiving a master’s in special education from Indiana Wesleyan University.”

What is your favorite sports team? “I really do not have a favorite sport/team, but if I must pick, I will say football Indianapolis Colts and Basketball Chicago Bulls.”

What is your favorite holiday? “My Favorite Holiday will be Christmas, valentine’s day and my birthday (lol), Christmas because of the warm feeling of family gathering and all the beautiful talent of people decorating, Valentine’s Day because I always get great gifts from my family (sounds corny I know), and my birthday growing up my mom always stated my birthday was a holiday and so I have always treated it as such. It is a blessing to still be on the earth and be amongst the land of the living.”

Is there anything else that you would like students to know about you? “I am an introvert Gemini, always looking to grow and learn new things. I was a behavioral health advisor for 5 yrs. This will be my second year as a Special Education teacher.”

Do you have any advice for students? “My favorite quote from Maya Angelou “Do the best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better. “  Enjoy these times because once you graduate these are the days you will miss the most.”