The November Lull- Here’s How to Beat It

Fun things to do in Northwest Indiana this month

Audrey White, Opinions Section Editor

“‘It is a month that is dull and uneventful. A middle ground between Halloween and Christmas, between celebrations with a singular holiday- Thanksgiving. It is a month we call, November.’”

To help combat the empty chasm that is November, search for fun activities happening in Northwest Indiana this month:

• Watch Chesterton’s Twilight Parade

Chesterton will be hosting its annual Twilight Christmas Parade in Thomas Centennial Park, which is located downtown. The parade will begin at 5:15 p.m and will feature numerous floats representing various groups from around town. Those on the floats throw candies to children as they pass by and conclude with Santa atop a fire truck, fueling anticipation for the winter season.  

• Attend a local production of A Christmas Carol

4th Street Theater will be presenting a one-man production of A Christmas Carol starring Grant Fitch. Viewing times are on November 26 at 7:00 p.m., and November 27 at 3:00 p.m. at 4th Street Theater. Local actor, Fitch, will be playing the roles of Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, Marley’s Ghost, the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, and of course, Ebenezer Scrooge. Tickets are available on the 4th Street Theater website. The prices are $5 for children and students under 18, and $10 for adults.

• Participate in local Turkey Trots in Portage

Portage Township YMCA will be hosting their 22nd annual Turkey Trot. It costs $30 for the 5K Run and Walk and is open to those ages four and up. The Turkey Trot will begin at 8:30 a.m on Thanksgiving Day. All of the proceeds will help fund the Annual Campaign and the money raised will help others have access to programs and services for food, chronic disease management, education, physical activity, and shelter. The 5K Race also includes a custom finisher medal and a long sleeve t shirt. The awards for the race’s winners will go to the Top Overall Male and Female, Top Masters Male and Female, and Top three Male and Female in varying age groups.

Registration for the 5K Run and Walk ends November 23 at 11:00 a.m.

Even when activities are sparse around Northwest Indiana, there are still plenty of fun things to do close to home!

• Enjoy s’mores and bonfire

Invite friends and family over to roast marshmallows over a bonfire for s’mores. Cozy up with blankets and warm beverages to make for an unforgettable evening with those closest to you.

• Watch the Macy’s Day Parade

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is a parade in New York City that occurs annually. This activity can of course be done in New York City, but a much more realistic option is to stream it at home by watching it on NBC. Kick back and relax as you “oo” and “ah” over the creative floats.

• Hike on local trails

Northwest Indiana exceeds expectations when it comes to hiking trails. The Little Calumet River Trail, the Indiana Dunes National Park, and Cowles Bog Trail are simply a few of the many trails Northwest Indiana offers. Take advantage of the mild weather and hit the trails before winter comes.

May this November not be a dull one, but one of good food, warm memories, and festive fun for all. Be sure to keep up with local activities, and consider taking inspiration from this list for a month full of gratitude and of cheer.