CHS’s Jubilant Production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

“Any dream will do”

Audrey White, Opinions Section Editor

Close every door so you can listen to the amazing soundtrack of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on repeat. Chesterton High School recently put on a production of this Biblical-inspired musical. With a diverse cast, combining children from grades 1 through 8 in the children’s choir, in addition to 50 high school students participating in this performance

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a musical that relies on the story of Joseph from Genesis, a book of the Bible. The first act explains how Jacob has twelve sons, yet favors his son Joseph over the others. To display his deep love for his son Joseph, Jacob gives him a coat of many colors, thus fueling his brothers’ jealousy. Because of their jealousy, Joseph’s brothers attempt to end his life. However, when this backfires, his brothers sell him into slavery and lie to the rest of the family saying that Joseph is dead. Unbeknownst to their father, Joseph is taken as a slave to Egypt to Potiphar, the captain of the Pharaoh’s guard. Unfortunately for Joseph, he is thrown into jail due to the attraction Potiphar’s wife has for him. Once Joseph is in jail, he is alongside two other prisoners who served the Pharaoh. Joseph utilizes his ability to interpret dreams and tells the Butler that he will be freed from his sentence and be able to serve the Pharaoh once more. As for the Baker, Joseph shares that he will be executed. Entering the second act, the Pharaoh begins to have dreams that he does not understand. The Butler explains Joseph’s ability to the Pharaoh, and this causes Joseph to be the Pharaoh’s right hand man. 

Later on in Act 2, Joseph’s brothers are without food, so they travel to Egypt for any possible sustenance. The brothers do not realize who Joseph is, and they beg for food. Joseph gives them sacks of food, but places a golden cup in one of the brother’s sacks. As the brothers are about to leave, Joseph has them empty their sacks as he finds the cup that he planted and he accuses them of stealing. Joseph’s brothers ask him to free their brother who was caught for “stealing”, and let the rest of them serve in his place. Joseph then realizes the change of heart his brothers have, and they reconcile, thus sending for his father so they can be together again.

“It was kind of a crazy experience, I feel that’s the easiest way to sum it up, just because of how fast paced it is and how much information there was to learn in such a short amount of time,” said senior Ian Condes who was one of two actors who played Joseph.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat incorporated quirky setting changes with the choice of having a digitized background. With transitions from the dusty west, or sophisticated Paree, the audience was able to feel a part of the production. The acting also helped in adding a layer of comedy through the physical movements, the wearing of berets, and the delightful absurdity of the sudden scene change. Specifically, without prior reference, I was rather shocked to see the grand introduction of no other than Elvis himself! Nevertheless, the appearance of the famed rock-and-roll star intensified the event’s ardor.

The choreography is also worth noting, as it was definitely a highlight of this musical production. The synchronous movements helped to solidify the feeling of being grounded in the world that is painted for those in attendance through the theatrical elements. 

The singing became addictive to listen to, as the energy of the cast became infectious. The entire production grew in its jubilance and lively vigor, truly accentuating the enthusiasm brought by the cast, crew, and musical department.

“There was definitely points where I thought it wasn’t going to come all together in the end, but…I thought it went really well overall,” said Condes.

Despite the eccentric style of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, the imperative message and morals of familial love lie within the foundation of this performance.