Join the Trojan Guard for their Preseason on February 14th

CHS Marching Band looking to recruit new members

Rylan Fields, Sandscript author

The Chesterton High School Trojan Guard is one of the school’s most popular music programs. You may have seen them at football games, pep rallies, and marching in parades. Since the band consists of students from 8th grade to Senior year, it boosts students’ music reading and playing abilities. Though Trojan Guard starts in the summer, students have been provided a chance to learn the basics of the marching band before the season begins. On February 14th, from 6-9 pm, students willing to give marching band a try can attend the Trojan Guard preseason. They will begin tryouts for the Instruments that they would want to march and roles that they want to fill such as drum major or section leader. Students searching for a challenge both physically and mentally should attend this event and give the marching band a try. Students who participate in this extracurricular can expect a great improvement in their playing ability as well as an improvement in their general strength and physical health since rehearsal doubles as great cardio. As long as students put effort into this activity, they will only see positive results. Trojan Guard also benefits its members academically as it contributes to students’ progress toward patches that can be put onto letterman jackets. The marching band also increases acceptance rates of students wanting to join other ensembles, symphonies, and drum corps since these organizations typically look for people who have experience playing academic music.