Girls Swim Team Glides Headfirst Into Sectionals and State

For the 25th year in a row, the girl’s swim team has won sectionals and advanced into finals!

Grae Stockhausen, Features Section Editor

On February 4, the girl’s swim team rose and decided to continue their legacy by winning the Sectional Championship for the 25th year in a row. Many girls on the team qualified for the State Championships as well! 

In the Sectional matchup, junior Rachel Dildine qualified for State in the 200 Yard IM  with a time of 2:04.48, and 100 Yard Butterfly, 50.06. Freshman, Tegan Werner was a state qualifier in 50 Yard Freestyle, 24.34, and 100 Yard Freestyle, 53.25. Sophomore Mia Kirkham placed second in 500 Yard Freestyle, receiving a time of  5:09.15, but is still a state qualifier, while Senior Olivia Piunti was the sectional champion in the 100 Yard Backstroke, 59.15. 

In two events, the girls were named Sectional Champions, the first being the 200 Yard Freestyle Relay with Dildine, Lux Mountford, Kirkham, and Werner, their time  1:37.35. The second relay was the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay with Werner, Kirkham, Dildine, and Piunti and their time was 3:33.20.

Junior, Annmarie Easter came in second place in the 100 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 1:07.15. There was one last relay that came in second place: the 200 Yard Medley Relay. Allison Norman, Easter, Mountford, and Piunti were the competitors and ended with a time of 1:51.11.

State Finals was on Saturday, February 11, when our lovely Chesterton swim team made their way to Indianapolis. Dildine placed 4th overall in the 100 Yard Butterfly and 6th in the 200 Yard IM. Werner placed 23rd in the 50 Yard Freestyle and 19th in the 100 Yard Freestyle. Kirkham placed 22nd in the 500 Yard Freestyle. Piunti placed 24th in the 100 Yard Backstroke. The 200 Yard Freestyle Relay placed 14th and the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay placed 9th. Overall, the team had an awe-inspiring run, placing 14th out of 42 teams at the state. Make sure to tell the swimmers good job when you see them in the hallway!