Mental Health a Concern with New Learning Methods

While trying to adapt to the new schedule, CHS students cope with mental health

Students must monitor mental health during these new and unprecedented circumstances

Chloe Clendenin, Author

Mental Health is our general well-being, which includes emotional, psychological, and social. Our mental health determines how we handle stress, make choices, and talk to others. It affects the way we think, feel, and act. Mental health is very important, especially in times like these with the difficult hybrid and remote learning schedule. If your mental health state is not addressed or acknowledged, it can lead to developing a mental illness, like anxiety, or it can worsen pre-existing mental health illnesses. Everyone needs to take responsibility and look out for others. 

During frantic times and new events, our brain tends to focus on all the new things happening and how to adapt which causes us to forget about other important aspects of our lives. Sometimes, teachers and others around us don’t want to address the situations, nor take action to help those struggling. Many people don’t think about who else is struggling; so keep your eyes open because your teacher, co-workers, manager, family, friends, school staff, and coaches could all be struggling in silence.  Adults, like teachers, coaches, managers, or bosses, might need to ease up and realize that some kids are struggling. Students could have three tests, an extracurricular activity, and homework, while also attending school five days a week and working four.  Sophomore, Kara Haynes sees this as fairly common in the halls of CHS. 

“I have never heard of a teacher, friend, or family really encouraging good mental health. They always focus on just getting work done and submitting things on time,” Haynes stated

Oftentimes, we push our mental health aside, deem it unimportant, and sometimes, we don’t even notice our mental health declining because our minds are on so many different issues in our lives. Many of us have jobs, extracurricular activities, or even family events occurring in our lives.  Sometimes we don’t even realize we are developing anxiety or falling into depression. Focusing on ourselves and our well-being needs to be our top priority. 

The Duneland School Corporation has made the decision to have all non-remote learners go back to school on October 5th, 2020. While they haven’t released their full detailed plan, it will be a completely different schedule. Students are still adjusting to the hybrid, remote, 8 block, and advisory schedule whether they are hybrid or fully remote. 

“No, I do not like the schedules at all. They’re too complicated and as a student that’s completely remote, nobody tells you anything about the schedules so I do not know what time my classes start, end, or when we have advisory,” senior Alicia Gonzalez said in regards to her remote experience says 

These times and changes are challenging for everyone no matter their circumstances, as an individual, but we all need to learn to help ourselves and others to know the resources that are available. Always contact a trusted adult if you or a friend is displaying signs of a mental health disorder.

“Mental health awareness is so important because so many people are struggling without anyone knowing. Mental health affects how we live our lives. When you have mental health problems, you can suffer in so many ways,”  freshman Lexi Wolf concluded.

Make sure to check on your friends, family, and teachers because we’re all struggling with adjusting these new changes, and now, things will be changing again soon.  If you’re struggling to balance your schedule, homework, job(s), sports, and/or extracurricular activities, talk to your guidance counselor and teachers to try and figure out what works best for you.