CHS Student Government Hosts HALLoween

Miranda Miller, Sandscript Author

For the last 6 years, members of the Chesterton High School Student Government have put together and hosted a trick-or-treat event for families in the community.  It usually takes place before Halloween, within the halls of Chesterton High School.  Because of this year’s COVID-19 pandemic, the Student Government was forced to make alternate accommodations for what has become known as the HALLoween Trick-or-Treat night. 

“Normally the event is through the halls of CHS.  There is a haunted hallway and popcorn is sold.  This year, with the pandemic, the event has to be held outdoors with plenty of space,” states the supervisor of Student Government, Luke Starkey. 

The event will take place in the front parking lot of the high school on Thursday, October 29 from 4:30pm to 6:30pm.  Parking will be made available to all attendees.  There will be around thirty different clubs and sports teams who will be responsible for dressing up and handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters. 

“I think that it will be stressful especially because it’s in a totally different format from what we’re used to, but I know Student Government will be able to adapt,” says Student Government member, junior Sofia Portugal.  

In order to make this experience as safe as possible, students from these activities will be required to wear a mask and gloves and will be safely socially distanced at all times.  Each activity will be given three parking spaces to set up their stations and decorate in theme.  In addition, all attendees are required to wear a mask and remain socially distanced to ensure everyone’s safety.  Sadly, there will be no haunted hallway like there had been in previous years due to the backup of people that it causes.  Everyone is encouraged to attend and participate to help celebrate Halloween with the Duneland community.