Blood Drive Donors, Listen Up!

Sandscript tells students how to prepare for a blood drive

Saanya Agarwal, Co-Editor in Chief

This Thursday, the Red Cross Club will be hosting a blood drive in the main gym from 9 am to 2 pm. All 99 slots have been completely filled. However, interested students and community members are more than welcome to join the waiting list in case a spot opens up. Students must be at least 16 years old in order to donate, and 16-year-olds must turn in a parental consent form in order to participate.

Donating blood can seem scary at first. Here are some things donors can do to prepare:

• Get at least 8 hours of sleep the night before the donation
  • Eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, or both on the day of the drive
  • Try to eat foods rich in protein (lean meat, cheese, yogurt) and rich in iron (red meat, fish, poultry, beans, cereals, raisins)
  • Drink a few extra glasses of water before the day of the drive and before the donation
  • Make sure to bring some form of identification (driver’s license, permit, or even the student portfolio in skyward)
  • Make sure to know what medications you are taking

After, donors can do the following:

• Make sure to relax at the “Relaxation Station” and eat some snacks
  • Drink a few glasses of fluids to stay well hydrated
  • Student athletes should not do any heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for the rest of the day

Donors temporarily lose a lot of fluids after their donation. It typically takes up to 24 hours or less for one’s body to replace them. After a whole blood donation, the body usually takes less than 5 weeks to replenish the lost red blood cells.

Roughly 4.5 million Americans would die each year without blood donations. That’s why it’s crucial to donate blood if possible. Just a single donor can save up to 3 lives. One person can massively impact not only 3 people, but also all of their worried family and friends too. So to those giving blood this time, thank you, and for the rest, consider it in the future.