Tornado Outbreaks Ravage the United States.

Many towns left devastated and families broken.

Carl Harding, Sandscript Writer

The last four to five weeks have seen some very significant weather as two tornado outbreaks have laid waste to many towns across the United States from the Southern states to the East Coast and the Midwest. The first outbreak of severe weather occurred from March 24 to March 27 and impacted Southern states from Texas to Georgia, with hail the size of baseballs and wind gusts of over 70 miles per hour.  This outbreak brought 31 tornadoes with it including an EF4 Tornado that touched down near Rolling Fork, Mississippi. Sadly, most of these tornadoes would impact Mississippi including the only EF4 of the outbreak that tore through Rolling Fork and other towns including Midnight and Silver City. The EF4 tornado left many parts of Rolling Fork unrecognizable with many houses flattened and large metal-framed buildings being destroyed including a Family Dollar. Many other buildings suffered significant damage including the local library which was obliterated. In addition, Rolling Fork Elementary and South Delta High are temporarily closed due to damages to their structures. Many students at Delta High were attending the prom when the tornado left the city, and many students had their houses either damaged or totaled. The tornado left 16 people dead alone in Rolling Fork and about 165 others were injured. After the tornado left Rolling Fork, it continued with EF4 strength as it passed through wooded areas debarking and uplifting trees when it weakened to an EF2 as it passed through Midnight and Silver City causing light damage. The tornado finally lifted after it had been on the ground for over an hour and eleven minutes. Another six people were killed by tornadoes that passed through with another sixteen others being injured. After the outbreak, Mississippi Governor, Tate Reeves, declared a state of emergency in the counties affected by the outbreak and requested aid from the federal government. President Joe Biden approved the aid package two days later.  Unfortunately, a week later from March 31 through April 1, another, more severe, tornado outbreak would occur. This outbreak will go down in the history books. It brought 142 tornadoes through its life span with 132 of these tornadoes touching down in 24 hours, breaking a record held by the December 2021 Midwest outbreak which saw 120 tornadoes touch down in 24 hours. Many significant tornadoes touched down throughout the day, one of the first being an EF3 that touched down in Little Rock, Arkansas. The tornado ravaged the town with over 2,648 structures being either damaged or destroyed. Early reports claimed that at least 600+ people were killed or injured, but that went down to only 54 injuries and one death. Another eight EF3 Tornadoes touched down across the Midwest including one that affected Sullivan, Indiana as the tornado crossed the Indiana-Illinois border after ravaging the towns of Robinson and St. Marie in Illinois, killing six and injuring nine. This [Mar.  31-Apr. 1] outbreak saw over 23 tornadoes touching down in Indiana alone, making this the fifth-largest outbreak of tornadoes in Indiana history. This was the most singular touchdowns in one day since November 2013. An EF1 tornado touched down in Porter County, affecting the city of Merriville with many trees and buildings in the area being damaged with one injury confirmed. After ravaging the Midwest, the storm system would continue to move east. Throughout the early morning and late afternoon of April 1, around 32 tornadoes would touch down. The most significant of these April 1 touchdowns was an EF3 tornado that would touch down in Sussex County, Delaware affecting the towns of Bridgeville and Ellendale. This was the widest tornado to touch down in Delaware since the tornado records started in 1950 and the first tornado to kill someone in the state since 1983. The storm system would finally dissipate over the Atlantic Ocean later in the day, ending this historic outbreak. The March 31-April 1 Super Outbreak would result in 27 confirmed deaths and 211 injuries. Many states have declared states of emergency in the counties affected by this super outbreak, including Indiana. It is unknown what the cost will be for these two outbreaks, but experts have predicted the costs will most likely hit the billions of dollars. Whether it be the loss of a loved one or leaving the storm shelter to see their houses damaged or wholly wiped from their foundations, many families and communities have had their lives turned upside down. People will come together to provide aid for each other and help others rebuild their lives. These towns will rebuild, but the people will never forget what happened on these historic days.